Date:      Fri, 23 Sep 2016 15:17:27 +0200
From:      Matthew Seaman <matthew@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-pkg@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: I meet a question about the pkg mirror.

--CCf7LJjs6nGsttkgaqvdBlJjDMxECf0oO
From: Matthew Seaman <matthew@FreeBSD.org>
To: freebsd-pkg@freebsd.org

--WTINd1cAFQXGMwrUQ75hTVplwwGRSpws8

On 23/09/2016 13:49, =E7=BD=97 =E5=AE=87=E5=87=A1 wrote:
> I am a Chinese user, recently I have encountered a problem that in
> China
>=20
> we cannot quickly install software through the pkg, for some reason.
>=20
> I tried mirrors of the United States ,Russia and Taiwan, the speed is
> not fast and easy to 404.
>=20
>=20
> I contacted some  University's mirror administrators, they said there
> was no way to sync the
>=20
> image from the official channel,because FreeBSD official did not
> provide the way to the third party.
>=20
>=20
> I would like you to build a server in China mirror image (through
> contact with some universities, or thro
>=20
> ugh I can also)

Hi, yes.  In order to set up a mirror in China we would need some
company or possibly university to donate hosting and bandwidth and quite
likely have local staff available for occasional troubleshooting.

Due to the security-sensitive nature of package mirroring, the FreeBSD
project will need full administrative control of the package server and
the content carried by it.  The server itself would probably be supplied
through the FreeBSD Foundation.

We rely entirely on donations to support these services.  As far as I
know, the FreeBSD project only has a small presence in China but that
region of the world is an area where we are actively looking to recruit
new developers and other contributors.

If you are interested in having a bigger FreeBSD presence in China or
you are in a position to provide resources, I'd encourage you to contact
the FreeBSD Foundation, either through their web site or by e-mail at
info@freebsdfoundation.org

	Cheers,

	Matthew