Date:      Wed, 17 Jan 2024 14:40:07 +0100
From:      Daniel Tameling <tamelingdaniel@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: USB key && NTFS

On Tue, Jan 16, 2024 at 10:05:07PM +0100, Alexander Burke wrote:

> They meant 128 GiB, but somehow the `i` tends to avoid the printing process Wikipedia blames the IEC for this disparity, but I call it cheating.
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gigabyte#Definition

Hi,

it's the other way round: for storage, manufactures generally use a
conversion factor of 1000, which doesn't have the "i" in the unit. The
"i" denotes a conversion factor of 1024, which leads to smaller
numbers. However, omitting the "i" when using 1024 is also very
common.

The wikipedia article you linked has a little bit further down the
following passage: "This means that a 300 GB (279 GiB) hard disk might
be indicated variously as "300 GB", "279 GB" or "279 GiB", depending
on the operating system."

Best regards,
Daniel