Date:      Tue, 27 Oct 1998 21:56:31 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Matt White <mwhite@cmu.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Disk space for current

> I'm pondering installing -current on my laptop so that I can improve the
> state of laptop support under freebsd.  Could someone list out the disk
> space needed by /usr/src, /usr/cvs, /usr/obj, etc?  I'd like to make
> intelligent partitioning decisions since a little disk space for games
> would be nice (I don't know if I could make it through an IETF meeting
> without them...).

You will need about 2GB to have an installed system, a copy of the CVS
repository and still build the world with comfortable space left over.
Putting everything on one partition means that you don't have to
second-guess how big everything is going to be (can you say "minidisk"
anyone?).

> Any other disk hits, gotchas and advice are warmly welcomed.

I'll offer a 'hint', and that's get one of the $400 6GB disks and have
lots of space for everything. 8)