Date:      Fri, 17 Dec 1999 18:36:14 +0900
From:      Robert Hugh Force II <tiberius@yta.attmil.ne.jp>
To:        Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven <asmodai@bart.nl>
Cc:        cluster@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Project homepage and definitions

Jeroen,

    My understanding of High Availability (HA) is that the goal is to
provide a fault tolerant system that masks system outages from users so they
may have uninterrupted work.  HA utilizes automatic scripts to perform
failure activities in a reliably reproducible manner and in less time than
any manual operation.  True fault tolerant computer systems are VERY
$$expensive$$ and very complex (Do they actually exist?) so a more accurate
term might be near-fault-tolerant.  Redundancy is usually used to help
eliminate Single Points Of Failure ( SPOF) and clustering is usually an
integral part of a HA environment.

    Clustering involves connecting computers so that the nodes are able to
function as one computer as far as the user is concerned.  Parallel
computing is one possible use for a cluster.

    These may not be "dictionary definitions" of HA and clustering but I
think they are a step in the right direction.

                                                            Robert "Bob"
Force
                                                            fMFG (former
MainFrame Geek)