Date:      Wed, 19 Sep 2001 23:53:36 -0700
From:      "Chad R. Larson" <chad@DCFinc.com>
To:        Chuck TheMascot <freebsdfan@hotmail.com>
Cc:        aa8vb@nc.rr.com, small@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Booting from Flash

On Wed, Sep 19, 2001 at 09:13:37PM -0700, Chuck TheMascot wrote:
>>I own three I-Openers.  One is in service with the mother-in-law,
>>but the other two are still in un-opened boxes.  I bought them with
>>the intention of running FreeBSD on them
>
> You guys are getting me interested in this toy again.  I haven't
> turned it on months, I just hooked it up again to get the
> configuration file.

My ideal would be to have a web/ftp server that had all the tools
and instructions you would need.  I'd be happy to host such a thing
at DCF, Inc.

So, a person should be able to crack an I-Opener without a screwdriver.
Perform the keyboard gymnastics to get to a QNX prompt as it powers up,
dial up a PPP connection to the modem sitting on the DCF, Inc. server,
download a PicoBSD and the tool to flash it and go.

To be a bit more elaborate, you could flash just a kernel and plug
some storage into the USB port, and have an almost real computer.

> I'm currently building a replacement firewall using a Soekris net4501.

I had been using an old 486DX50 running the firewall/NAT/router code
from Network Safety (www.safety.net), but replaced it with a Linksys
BEFSR11.  Works just fine with my Cox@home, but I kinda miss the
control I had before.  So I too have ordered a net4501.  Soren says
the yield he's been getting is terrible, and I'm on backorder.  Oh,
well...

	-crl
--
Chad R. Larson (CRL15)   602-953-1392   Brother, can you paradigm?
chad@dcfinc.com         chad@larsons.org          larson1@home.com