Date:      Fri, 09 Aug 1996 14:20:58 -0700
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        nate@mt.sri.com
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org, phk@critter.tfs.com
Subject:   Re: Whither gcc 2.7?

Nate wrote:

> I *really* want to keep SUP around until the next major release,
> just to make sure CVSup gets shaken out better.  No offense to John ...

Don't worry, John feels the same way!  CVSup is only in beta release.

I am not worried about it giving anybody corrupted files.  It verifies
the MD5 checksum of each edited file before moving it into place on the
client.  But there still could be bugs that could cause, say, some files
to be omitted incorrectly.  (I don't think there are such bugs.  I'm just
giving an example of the kind of problem that checksums wouldn't
detect.)  Also, as we saw this week when the RCS files in src/bin/ed/test
got totally spammed (by a bad disk controller, apparently), there are
still a few really pathological conditions that can cause the server to
give up rather ungracefully.  That sort of thing doesn't corrupt
anybody's files, but it does interrupt service until the server bug or
the repository problem is fixed.

I would dearly love to see CVSup replace sup, ultimately.  But it's not
time for that yet.

> ... but I trust SUP and although CVSup is great and all, I still do a
> SUP once/week to 'make sure' everything is hunky-dorey.

Wimp! ;-)