Date:      Tue, 21 Mar 2000 19:19:28 +0100
From:      Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>
To:        "Mike O'Dell" <mo@servo.ccr.org>
Cc:        David Murphy <drjolt@redbrick.dcu.ie>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Voxware is toast. Get used to it. (Re: Suggestions for improving newpcm performance?)

At 11:47 AM -0500 2000/3/21, Mike O'Dell wrote:

>  i see.
>
>  the justification is that it's ok for it to suck as
>  much as anything else one claims to be better than.

	I'm not sure I follow your logic.

	Our worst is far better than the best Microsoft has ever
produced, so surely you can't be using that as the basis of this
comment.

	The best that Sun has ever produced is probably better than the
worst that we've ever produced, so that might be the basis of your
comment.  But I'm not sure.

>  my, my, what a glowing endorsement.
>
>  "When all else fails, lower your standards."

	I don't think we're lowering our standards at all.  My personal
opinion is that FreeBSD is better than just about everything else out
there on the market, freely available or not.  IMO, the only places
where FreeBSD is not yet superior to the other solutions available
are on the ultra high end, where you're up against things like the
Compaq/Tandem Himalaya non-stop systems that can truly claim to be
fault-tolerant and not just fault-resilient or "highly available".

	We're producing a commercial-quality OS and letting people
download and install it at no charge (or we'll sell them CDs at
minimal prices), and we don't charge anything for the support that we
provide today.  I think that speaks very highly for us, very highly
indeed when you consider that the largest and most heavily trafficked
sites on the 'net depend on FreeBSD.

	However, relative to that extremely high standard, I believe that
there are still a few rough edges in FreeBSD 4.0, and it is not yet
quite ready to be considered suitable for use in production
environments.

	There are people who can take it and turn it into a platform that
is imminently suitable for production environments, but those are the
same sorts of people who helped build 4.0 from 3.x, so they know
enough about what they are doing that they don't have to worry about
those rough edges.

	For everyone else, it's not quite yet at the "./configure; make;
make install" no-brainer stage, where it would be suitable for use on
production systems for those people who are new to FreeBSD and don't
have the knowledge, skills, or talent necessary to take 4.0 and turn
it into that kind of a production platform.

	In other words, you know enough that you can probably install
FreeBSD 6.0-FUTURE on your production systems and do quite well.
Places like Yahoo! and hotmail can install 5.0-CURRENT on their
production systems, and be just fine.

	People like me can install RELENG_4 on a server that is not yet
in production, and play around with it, do some benchmarking, and get
some idea of what it's going to be able to do for us when we do
finally put a release of 4.x-STABLE in production.

	Others will still be better off starting with 3.x-STABLE and
learning with it, until such time as it nears its end-of-life and
we're getting closer to releasing 5.0-STABLE.

	Personally, I think the sweet spot for 4.0-STABLE is somewhere in
the middle of that curve, but we're not yet quite there.