Date:      Sun, 5 Nov 1995 18:09:32 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org>
To:        Paul Reece <paul@jazz.trumpet.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: weird problem with 2.0.5

On Mon, 6 Nov 1995, Paul Reece wrote:

> Hi all.
>
> I've been having a weird problem with a box running FreeBSD 2.0.5.
>
> For some odd reason, the machine basically locks up totally with no warning
> and needs a reset to recover..  No crash dumps or anything of any kind - it
> just.. well.. stops!
>
> The machine is a VESA 486DX4/100 with 64MB of ram and 2 IDE drives.
>
> Anyone got any ideas as to what exactly may be causing this?
> (stop laughing Iain!)
>
> Unusually this has only started to happen recently and as for the machine,
> I've never seen the loadave hit 1.

	You aren't running SLIP or anything like that, are you?  I know
that with 2.0R, I had an intermediate problem where SLIP would hang,
and if I SIGINT'd the slattach process, the machine itself would hang.
Haven't seen it with 2.0.5R yet, one of the reasons I upgraded, but
I've only been running it for a few days now...

	...the hang in that case reminded me of an error I had with
multi-port serial boards running under a much older version of BSDi,
where the bug had something to do with interrupt looping, or something
like that.

> Also, anyone know why I can't copy a new kernel into place? (says
> Operation Not Permitted).. I've done it before but for some odd reason
> it won't do it now (even in single-user mode)

	Did you, by any chance, use chflags on your kernel last time?
An "ls -lo /kernel" should tell you if any of the settings are turned
on that would cause this.

Marc G. Fournier | Knowledge, Information and Communications, Inc (ki.net)
scrappy@hub.org  |
 soon to be:     |
scrappy@ki.net   | For more information, send me email.