Date:      Mon, 2 Sep 1996 01:21:57 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <toor@dyson.iquest.net>
To:        louie@TransSys.COM (Louis A. Mamakos)
Cc:        michaelh@cet.co.jp, kimc@w8hd.org, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Current build failure

> > Keep supping and making (once a week or once a day), current is often not
> > buildable.
>
> Ah, I thought that while current was on the bleeding edge, the code
> should certainly at least compile before it's checked in!  Hard to
> imagine any good reason why it wouldn't complile, short of problems in
> the build environment.

Actually, I think that the goal is to make sure that -current is
buildable.  However, it is on the "edge", and it is probably best
not to condemn a developer for a mistake (or also likely, a tree that
is internally inconsistant due to windows during the commit/download
process.)

It is exceptionally difficult to test some kinds of changes given
limited resources (everything from subtile kernel changes to certain
build environment changes.)  Actually, since FreeBSD and it's ilk are
volunteer efforts, we are fortunate that there are so many dedicated
individuals spending their personal time on these projects!!!  Not
only that, but many of the developers don't have multiple machines
to run carefully constructed tests.  I believe that everyone on the
project is trying to do the best job that they can, given their
resources...

But, again, I believe that it is pretty clear that we should be
checking in code that each of us has tested as well as we can.
Mess-ups do happen, and I am sure that each developer
will correct the bugs they cause as quickly as possible.

John