Date:      Fri, 5 Jul 1996 18:50:08 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Mark Mayo <mark@quickweb.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How would you like the FreeBSD DOC CD presented/indexed?

On Fri, 5 Jul 1996, Terry Lambert wrote:

> > Those of you who got the previous DOC CD (or heard me talk about it)
> > know that:
> >
> > 1. I had nothing to do with it.
> >
> > 2. I was not particularly pleased at how it was put together.
> >    To be specific, it wasn't very easy to use and the data was not
> >    provided in a format that lent itself to searching or re-use.
> >
> > they'd like the news/mail indexed?  Please speak up now! :-)
>

> I would like to see included binaries for some type of HTML reader.

I second this. Having the docs in html format is a great idea. As a bare
minimum, include lynx, and maybe Mosaic (netscape would be super, but I'm
sure it's impossible to license for free..)

Personally, I like having the doc CD available on my machine
(remote) so I can point an httpd document root to it. Then I can get to
the stuff easily from at home, at work, etc..

> I would like to see a file in the top level called "autorun.sh"
> that invokes the binary for the reader on the start of the index
> page.  Wiring for "autorunning" will eventually go into BSD at
> some point in time for insertion-based activation.

Neat idea. I like this one too, and the relative paths are of course
mandatory so people can move the collection around :-)

Autorun (although it smells like win95) is a great feature, especially
for novice FreeBSD'ers.

> I'd like to see everything use relative paths, or an implicit relative
> root.  You can assume that the autorun.sh will be started with the
> directory containing it as the current directory.

-Mark

 :%t$sig   -- Oops, thought I was in vi..
| Mark Mayo		mark@quickweb.com |
| C-Soft  	        www.quickweb.com  |