Date:      Sun, 8 Oct 2000 11:20:12 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        attila! <attila@hun.org>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   re: sio problems?

attila! writes:
> on Sat, 7 Oct 2000 20:03:12 -0500 (CDT), Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org> said:
> > I recently got my digital camera back out, and started pulling the old
> > pictures from it. I noticed something I hadn't ever seen before - silo
> > overflows from the sio port. At the moment, I'm wondering if this is a
> > known problem that is being investigated (SMPNG comes to mind), or
> > something new.
>   Other than the sio irq overflows, which does not seem to
>   particularly impact performance and which I am sure will be
>   solved, I think team has done a superb job with the SMPNG
>   cutover.

Well, it's making a serious impact on performance for camera. I wasn't
able to reliably download images at even half speed. I gave up and
dropped from 115K to 9.6K. I can probably get better speed than that,
but even if it's 28K, that's noticable :-(. On the other hand, that's
the only real problem I've seen. Unfortunately, I haven't used the
thing since the hardware was cutover from -stable, so I can't pin it
down either.

	<mike