Date:      Tue, 3 Dec 1996 13:04:33 -0800 (PST)
From:      batie@agora.rdrop.com (Alan Batie)
To:        neillt@realgoods.com (Neill Thornton)
Cc:        adonai@jump.net, freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ups recommendations...

> and we have a Honda generator that auto starts from a little box

One word about generators and UPS's:  a year ago, during the Big Storm,
we were out of power for 3+ days.  The only generator left in Oregon by
then was a little Honday 600W job, but that's enough to run the basic
system and net connectivity.  I figured to plug the UPSs into it and
then I could shut it down to refuel periodically and the UPSs would
carry it through.  Well, think again.  I've got 1500W of UPS and they
were substantially discharged.  The first thing they do when they see
line power is suck it dry to recharge the batteries.  The 600W couldn't
cope, the UPSs saw a brownout and went offline.  This repeated about
every 5-10 seconds.  I had to pull out the UPSs and run the system live
off the generator, which didn't give me warm feelings hearing the
transformer feeding the channel bank buzzing in synchronization with
the generator motor variations.  It worked though, and it was the first
time I've heard of a system going down for refueling :-)

--
Alan Batie                   ______
batie@agora.rdrop.com        \    /      Assimilate this!

It is my policy to avoid purchase of any products from companies which
use unrequested email advertisements or telephone solicitation.