Date:      Mon, 19 Oct 2015 21:27:50 +0000
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@freebsd.org>
To:        Ed Maste <emaste@freebsd.org>
Cc:        NGie Cooper <yaneurabeya@gmail.com>, freebsd-arch <freebsd-arch@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: [RFC] importing e* (embolic, estrdup, etc) functions from NetBSD (libc/libutil or libnetbsd)?

--2oS5YaxWCcQjTEyO

On Mon, Oct 19, 2015 at 04:03:58PM -0400, Ed Maste wrote:
> On 19 October 2015 at 15:14, NGie Cooper <yaneurabeya@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >         While looking quickly through makefs upstream for fixing a PR, =
I realized that some years ago NetBSD has refactored a number of userland u=
tilities (including makefs) to use their new e* function implementations of=
 malloc, strndup, etc: http://man.netbsd.org/HEAD/usr/share/man/html3/efun.=
html (they have some other functions that we don???t have in libc/libutil i=
n their libutil that might need to be ported as well).
>=20
> Yes, I spotted this while looking at makefs as well and I think it's
> reasonable to bring them over. I would put them in libnetbsd though
> until there's an actual plan to start migrating our own tools to use
> them.  Moving them from libnetbsd to libutil is easy to do later on.

This feels like the right approach to me as well.  Let's get them in and
get some them some more exposure and then, if people like them, we can
put a copy in libutil.

-- Brooks

--2oS5YaxWCcQjTEyO

--2oS5YaxWCcQjTEyO--