Date:      Wed, 16 Oct 1996 13:11:57 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        rkw@dataplex.net (Richard Wackerbarth)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IP bugs in FreeBSD 2.1.5

> And as one who has done release engineering for paying customers, I can
> tell you that your methodology is hurting your ability to be taken as a
> serious product rather than a hobbyist toy.

Richard, there are a whole SLEW of things we do and don't do which
both hinder and help our ability to be taken seriously.  Not having
truly working 3COM adaptor support sucks, as does our poor IDE CDROM
support.  Not having a paid tech support hotline somewhere sucks, as
does the non-ability to call ourselves fully POSIX compliant.  I could
go on, citing factors from every corner of FreeBSD's development which
are lacking.  What makes you think that release engineering is somehow
immune to the same process of trade-offs, focusing on some things to
the unfortunate and necessary exclusion of others?  We don't have
infinite resources in *any* area of FreeBSD's development, and if you
expected a rose garden then I'm here to disappoint you.  No, we don't
match your ideal picture.  We don't match mine, either, FWIW.  What we
ARE is simply no more than what we can be at this particular time with
the resources we have available.

> I am at this moment sitting in a client's office listening to some of them
> argue that Linux is a better product to use AS A CORPORATE SERVER. Part of
> their argument is directly related to their perception of the lack of
> release testing.

Then your clients are on drugs and need to call the Betty Ford Hotline
(1-800-POP-PILLS).  I don't see any heroic degree of release testing
being expended in the various Linux camps.  I see some nice packaging
and some admirable vendor deals, but I don't see lots and lots of
credible testing, sorry.

>Remember -- Image is everything.

See my previous missive about evangelism.  None of that has anything
to do with engineering, however.  If you can sell something as
intangible as god then you can sell anything, and all this engineering
talk is mostly irrelevant to the "image" question.  Stick to one
topic, please! :)

					Jordan