Date:      Mon, 15 Sep 1997 22:49:18 -0400
From:      Jim Durham <durham@w2xo.pgh.pa.us>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: StarOffice...

Greg Lehey wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 15, 1997 at 09:38:04PM -0300, The Hermit Hacker wrote:
> >

> > Hi...
> >
> >       I'm running a current 3.0 system, and am wondering if anyone is
> > having problems running StarOffice?
>
> Well, yes.  It doesn't seem to like the name server.
>
> > I've got linux_mod loaded, as shown by modstat. and try
> > 'scalc3'...the process starts up, consumes a bunch of CPU and then
> > slowly degenerates into an idle process...
>
> I haven't quite seen that.  What I see is that it starts up, uses
> about 4 seconds CPU time, then hangs for five minutes sending lookup
> requests to the name server and ignoring the replies.  Then it gives
> up and carries on working normally.
>
> The other thing I see is that it continually uses CPU time, looping on
> what looks like a sound card ioctl (I don't have a sound card in this
> machine).  I can't see anywhere to disable the sound card--does
> anybody else have an idea?
>
> Greg

Wow...I've asked about this a number of times and
you're the first person who's said they have the
problem. My wait is 2.5 to 3 minutes.

Do you know what names for which it is requesting addresses
from the name server?

regards,
--
Jim Durham <Television Engineer-Unitel Mobile Video, Pittsburgh>
  <Computer Consultant/Hobbyist> <Amateur Radio: W2XO>