Date:      Fri, 26 Dec 1997 13:29:21 -0800
From:      John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@efn.org>
To:        Burton Sampley <bsampley@best.com>
Cc:        hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NCR810 (or 875) & Asus P55T2P4 & Overclocking ?

Burton Sampley scribbled this message on Dec 26:
> I've purchased the NCR810 controller, but I've noticed some strange things
> while running my system at the 83MHz (3.0X, 83Mhz = 250)  bus speed.  Make
> -k world from clean 2.2.5 source on hardware that's known to build (with
> the exception of this controller) keeps rebooting in the early stages of
> make world.  As best as I can tell it is rebooting during libg++ (started
> with "time make -k world >& /home/bsampley/mk_world.250.83").  At first I
> thought the problem was the second hard drive (ST43400).  When I first
> installed the new controller, I noticed the "little green light"  on the
> front of the drive was flashing rapidly after the controller found the
> drive.  I tried adjusting the jumpers, but I couldn't find a setting that
> made the drive happy.  I later changed my mind when I received similar
> signal 11 errors while attempting to build cvsup from the ports collection
> (which is mounted on the other drive).  All of the ports I have tried have
> been able build without errors (like afterstep, xlockmore, staroffice,
> filerunner, tcl-8.0, ssh and xv) except cvsup.  Any ideas, or is my
> hardware telling me it's not going to fly at 83MHz?  BTW, Windoze95 (which
> is only kept for games runs fine at 83MHz on sd0.  Tom's hardware page
> says if Win95 will run overclocked without blowing up, then your chances
> are good at overclocking the board/cpu).

sounds like your memory can't handle the faster bus speed... try slowing
down your memory... I just got a new k6/200 and tried setting the memory
speed to Turbo, but about a half hour into the buildworld, it would
crash... once corrupting five bytes in a file (`= "NO' with `^P^Q \xb7o'
which is kinda wierd, two bytes were slid by one bit, another two had
signle bit errors, and another one just didn't look at all similar to
the original pattern...  otherwise the system would run normally...

right now I've put it back to fast (from Turbo)...  but that was just
under an hour ago...

now to get the scsi bus interference out of my stereo system... (and
it's only a fast system too) :(

--
  John-Mark Gurney                          Modem/FAX: +1 541 683 6954
  Cu Networking					  P.O. Box 5693, 97405

  Live in Peace, destroy Micro$oft, support free software, run FreeBSD