Date:      Sat, 29 Jul 2000 22:37:36 +0200
From:      Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai <asmodai@wxs.nl>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        Chitti Raju <chitti.raju@wipro.com>, FreeBSD Documenters <doc@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Writing device drivers.

-On [20000728 07:35], Greg Lehey (grog@lemis.com) wrote:
>>> Go to the http://www.freebsd.org/tutorials.
>>> See ``FreeBSD Device Driver Writer`s Guide``.
>>
>> More specifically, the URL is
>> http://www.freebsd.org/tutorials/ddwg/ddwg.html.
>
>I believe that this tutorial was removed because it was so out of
>date.  Unfortunately, the system is currently in a state of flux, and
>I don't think anybody has updated it.  I'm copying the documentation
>project, who might be able to help you further.  If that doesn't help,
>the best thing you can do is get a generic UNIX (not Linux) device
>driver book, none of which are very good, and use that and the source
>code of a similar driver to help you.  The book I have is by Egan and
>Teixiera, and is very old.  You may also get answers to specific
>questions on FreeBSD-hackers.

Currently Alexander and me are preparing some thing for the Developer's
Handbook in which device driver writing will be featured again.

I know we've been without some good docs on this for a while, but since
it is doc persons writing the supplemental coding docs it takes a little
longer. ;)

Seriously, its WIP and I hope, together with Alex, to provide some
concrete things RSN.

--
Jeroen Ruigrok vd Werven/Asmodai    asmodai@[wxs.nl|bart.nl|freebsd.org]
Documentation nutter/C-rated Coder BSD: Technical excellence at its best