Date:      Sun, 26 May 2002 23:26:21 +0200
From:      Hans Ottevanger <hansot@iae.nl>
To:        Randy Pratt <rpratt1950@earthlink.net>
Cc:        qa@FreeBSD.ORG, re@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sysinstall and configuring XFree86

Randy Pratt wrote:

> When I configure XFree86(4.2.0) using the sysinstall options, it seems to always
> produces an error messages that the XFree86 Configuration process seems to have
> failed when it tries to test the configuration.  However, when I exit sysinstall
> and use the configuration file that was produced, it works.  This leads me to
> think that its not a configuration issue.
>
> I'm beginning to wonder if anyone has gotten XFree86 configured successfully
> using sysinstall.  I'd appreciate confirmation that it has been used to configure
> XFree86 without problems using sysinstall.
>
> My concern is that when a new user attempts to install and runs into this,
> they're going to give up.
>
> I'd appreciate any comments on this since I'm trying to update the
> handbook/install section for 4.6-RELEASE.  It makes it pretty difficult to document if I can't seem to make it work.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Randy

When using sysinstall to configure XFree86 in 4.6-RC2, I found that the
results of both the graphical and ncurses based config programs need
some tweaking to
be acceptable. And indeed, both config options produce error messages
and make sysinstall fail over and over, just like you found, and as far
as I know, this has nothing to do with the configuration.

I have taken a look in the source code and found that sysinstall assumes
that XF86Config is written into /etc, while the graphical and ncurses
based programs by default save XF86Config in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11 and
/etc/X11, respectively. As an additional complication, the ncurses based
config program assumes that the directory /etc/X11 exists, so you must
create it manually, if it is not there (like with a fresh install).

You can choose other locations in both config programs, but I tried to
change sysinstall to look for XF86Config in the alternative locations
(added some code at line 709 in /usr/src/release/sysinstall/config.c),
and now my sysinstall continues with the desktop selection after X
configuration, as it should. Of course, all this does not help during a
fresh install.

I share your concern about new users just giving up, and I think
sysinstall needs to be updated, and at least somewhat tested before
4.6-RELEASE hits the streets.

Kind regards,

Hans