Date:      Wed, 12 May 1999 11:53:54 -0300 (EST)
From:      Rodolfo Heitor Gevaerd de Faria <rodolfo@ravel.ufrj.br>
To:        gubarev@mppmu.mpg.de (Dr. F. Gubarev)
Cc:        rodolfo@ravel.ufrj.br, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ppbus broken in 3.1-RELEASE

Dr. F. Gubarev was saying that,
^
^ On Wed, 12 May 1999, Rodolfo Heitor Gevaerd de Faria wrote:
^
^ >  Hello,
^ >
^ >   We had a HP LaserJet 4 Plus printer working perfectly in a
^ > 2.2.6-STABLE system using the old lpt driver. I've changed it
^ > to a 3.1-RELEASE system and used the new ppbus driver.
^ >
^ >   Then there was a problem in printing that sometimes strange characters
^ > randomly showed in the printouts, I've tryed everything from changing
^ > cables, printer memory, ghostscript version, paralel port configuration
^ > (normal, ECP, EPP), and nothing worked. Finally I've tryed reversing
^ > to the old lpt driver, and everything worked great.
^ >
^ >   That seemed strange since I've already used a Canon Bubblejet printer
^ > with the ppbus in an old pre 3.0-RELEASE system, I even had a paralel
^ > Zip Drive with it.
^ >
^ >   Had anyone out there the same problem ? I believe that's something
^ > really dangerous, especially since you are planning to disable
^ > permanentely the lpt driver.
^
^ I had the same problem upgrading 2.2.8S->3.1R. The problem appears to be
^ in the line:
^
^ device          ppc0    at isa? port? tty irq 7
^                                      ^^^^^
^ If "tty" is changed to "net" (as it was in GENERIC, if I remember) then
^ printer begins print some garbage ... Check that this flag is indeed
^ "tty", should work perfectly after that.

That seems to be problem.
It is working fine now.

Thanks.

^