Date:         Wed, 04 Jun 97 19:11 PDT
From:      Denis DeLaRoca                       <CSP1DWD@MVS.OAC.UCLA.EDU>
To:        Mark Tinguely <tinguely@PLAINS.NODAK.EDU>
Cc:        multimedia@FREEBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Re: rat and Freebsd

On Wed, 4 Jun 1997 09:05:00 -0500 CDT,
   Mark Tinguely <tinguely@PLAINS.NODAK.EDU> said:

> in the January 1997 Usenix conferencing proceedings (for shame, I am just
> recently read them), {I.Kouvelus,V.Handman}@cs.ucl.ac.uk say in their paper
> on RAT, they mention that FreeBSD is one of the few OSes that can run RAT.
> I tried to poke around their ftp servers, but did see any copies of the
> executables.  Has anyone heard anything new on RAT for FreeBSD?

I checked the UCL ftp server and there is a rat release for FreeBSD.
I downloaded it to Amancio's FTP site rah.star-gate.com since the
transatlantic links are often very slow.

On my FreeBSD 2.2.2, this version 3.0.22 of rat is unable to open
the audio device. Right now I am running FreeBSD's audio driver...
I seem to remember that rat for FreeBSD was developed using the
OSS audio driver. Can anyone check that such is the case. This
rat release appears to be only in binary -- too bad, since it would
be nice to make it work with Amancio's gus driver.

-- Denis