Date:      Tue, 3 Oct 2000 00:48:10 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Janko van Roosmalen <janko@compuserve.com>
To:        Nash <nash@home.se>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: natd ; Host is dowm ???

I configured ISDN dial-on-demand on my FreeBSD 3.2 system. I get similar
messages. I think they are caused by a time-out. When there is no
activity for some time the isdn demon breaks the connection, the isdn card
looses its assigned ip address. "natd" reports it as "aliasing to
0.0.0.0".

From my natd.log (my daughter was reading her yahoo email, +-20.00 hr
is internet prime time here in Holland) :

Oct 1 20:08:28 natd[120]: Aliasing to 193.173.123.100, mtu 1500 bytes
Oct 1 20:16:32 natd[120]: Aliasing to 0.0.0.0, mtu 1500 bytes
Oct 1 20:16:32 natd[120]: failed to write packet back (Can't assign requested address)
Oct 1 20:16:50 last message repeated 8 times
Oct 1 20:16:53 natd[120]: Aliasing to 193.173.123.49, mtu 1500 bytes

At 20.08.28 a connection is made. Because she was composing her
email replies the connection was broken at 20.16.32. At about the same
time she wanted to send off her email. Because it was very busy it took
some about 21 seconds to get connected at 20:16:53. Normally it takes
only 3 seconds.

Why don't you make an entry in (new)syslog.conf for natd and see if the
resulting log will give you a clue to what is going in your case?

Janko van Roosmalen - Vught - Netherlands