Date:      Thu, 27 May 1999 12:08:07 -0400
From:      Adam Turoff <aturoff@isinet.com>
To:        Will Andrews <andrews@TECHNOLOGIST.COM>
Cc:        advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: www.dell.com/linux

Will Andrews wrote:

> At 07:06 AM 5/27/99 +0200, you wrote:
> >But FreeBSD runs great on Dells...
>
> Yeah.. it runs GREAT on my Inspiron 7000... now just tell me how the FSCK
> i'm supposed to get rid of this !$%!@ Lucent WinModem! They told me there
> is no alternative to this internal modem.. and that his internal slot was
> designed ONLY for !@$!@# Lucent Winmodem!!

I just got a Dell Laptop, mostly because a colleague said that it worked
great with a RedHat install.  (Maybe Debian).  Foolish me, I buy one
and start to install FreeBSD.

I didn't order the builtin winmodem, and asked for a pcmcia modem.  Seems
to be working fine so far.  The worst part was ordering a 6GB drive and
not having fips recognize it.  So I had to fdisk and fsck the damn thing,
and about the third try, I got it to dual boot.

The install went wonderfully.  Haven't managed to get X configured yet, but
I'm blaming the problems on (1) Microsoft, (2) new video h/w, and (3) X.

I expected all three.

Z.