Date:      Wed, 28 Jun 2000 12:46:47 -0700
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@cup.hp.com>
To:        Stan Brown <stanb@netcom.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Stable List <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: HELP PLEAS! with Oracle install!

Stan Brown wrote:

>         I am trying to install Oralce on 4.0 STABEL. I have read teh Handbook
>         section on this and done everythign it recomends.
[snip]
>         Now, whne I try to run the installer, I get an error message that says
>         esentiallly that /usr/local/jre/bin/jre is not found. Now I think this
>         must be tje Java Runtime Environment. Since I am runing in a Linux
>         compatabilty shell. I belive the file it is really looking for is
>         /compat/linux/usr/local/jre/bin/jre.

The handbook describes Oracle 8.0.5.x. Oracle 8 doesn't have a Java
installer. Oracle 8i does, but isn't covered by the handbook. The
handbook does give a good starting point when trying to install and run
Oracle 8i, but it is no following-these-easy-steps-to-guaranteed-success
kind of description anymore (it never was :-)

I suggest reading the Oracle installation manual before you attempt to
do anything unsupported with it. And with anything unsupported: assume
you don't get any support :-)

>         I have istalled the jre jdk, and linux-jdk ports, all to no vail.

The Oracle manual clearly stated that blackdown JDK was recommended.
That may have changed in the mean time of course, but I don't think that
it will be as trivial as installing just any JDK port (and specifically
a FreeBSD port).

>         Could someone _PLESE_ explain what I am doing wrong?

1. You're installing the wrong Oracle version, or you're reading the
   wrong description for the Oracle version you're trying to install.
2. You're pioneering with the expectation that the road ahead is
   already paved.

--
Marcel Moolenaar
  mail: marcel@cup.hp.com / marcel@FreeBSD.org