Date:      Wed, 31 Jan 2001 22:59:48 +0100
From:      Roelof Osinga <roelof@nisser.com>
To:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
Cc:        "Edward W. M." <edward_wm@hotmail.com>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: POP3 / IMAP security

Wes Peters wrote:

> > knowledge and experience.
>
> Courier.  It's GPL, but it seems reliable.  I'm learning quite a bit
> more about it right now, working on an authentication module to work
> with our user database (stored in PostgreSQL).  Courier works well
> with either BSD-style mailboxes or Maildirs.  We use it in conjunction
> with Qmail, though I am experimenting with Cyrus and Postfix as well.

Yeah, it's cool enough allright. But it's also new and not all-there
yet. When things don't work you're SOL. When you want to leave the
beaten path, ditto.

I'm booting it up in combination with postfix and virtual users in
the uber-user's Maildir. It can be done, but... Same goes for the
SSL, almost no problems <g>.

Still, it has a clean slate compared to WU and feels good. Also it
is quite security concious, which is always nice. But it is still
young and I've yet to see a 'HOWTO' but for the INSTALL file.

There's a dearth of information that almost entices one to look
into the source <g>.

Roelof

--
Home is where the (@) http://eboa.com/ is.