Date:      Thu, 19 Jun 1997 21:57:51 +0200
From:      Ollivier Robert <roberto@keltia.freenix.fr>
To:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: OS/2 users going to FreeBSD?  :-)

According to Eivind Eklund:
> It do not mess up the HOST variable (using zsh substitution to strip
> the hostname instead), can just be cut'n'pasted (inline special
> characters are done using escapes), use the default prompting

Zsh has the %{...%} construct too so you don't need to use chpwd().

PS1="%{\033]2;%n@%M:%/ - %l\007\033]1;%l@%m\007%}%h [%T] %B%n%b@%m:%B%.2%#%b "

That give you the same prompt as I get under tcsh.

What makes me reluctant to switch from tcsh to zsh is that tcsh has always
succeeded in keeping the tty state clean whereas I still have a messed up
tty sometimes under zsh.

Feature for feature, zsh == tcsh although zsh has some neat things like you
said (filename matching, decent quoting and redirection and so on).

Extracted from tcsh(1):

   Terminal management (+)
       The shell uses three different sets of terminal  (``tty'')
       modes: `edit', used when editing, `quote', used when quot-
       ing literal characters, and `execute', used when executing
       commands.  The shell holds some settings in each mode con-
       stant, so commands which leave the tty in a confused state
       do  not  interfere with the shell.  The shell also matches
       changes in the speed and padding of the tty.  The list  of
       tty modes that are kept constant can be examined and modi-
       fied with the setty builtin.  Note that although the  edi-
       tor  uses CBREAK mode (or its equivalent), it takes typed-
       ahead characters anyway.

       The echotc, settc and  telltc  commands  can  be  used  to
       manipulate  and  debug terminal capabilities from the com-
       mand line.

--
Ollivier ROBERT -=- FreeBSD: There are no limits -=- roberto@keltia.freenix.fr
FreeBSD keltia.freenix.fr 3.0-CURRENT #20: Fri Jun 13 00:16:13 CEST 1997