Date:      Wed, 16 Oct 1996 22:14:09 +0200
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.tfs.com>
To:        "Jeffrey D. Wheelhouse" <jdw@wwwi.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: IP bugs in FreeBSD 2.1.5

In message <199610161850.LAA05089@wwwi.com>, "Jeffrey D. Wheelhouse" writes:
>At 08:09 PM 10/16/96 +0200, you wrote:

>I was under the mistaken impression that the core team might be
>starting to forget that there are users out there.  You have made
>it clear that in fact it is because you are pretending you don't
>have users.

Well, it may depend on the meaning you put in the word "users".

At work I have "users" that rely on my service.  They pay my
company (TRW) so they can rely on that service being available.

In FreeBSD context I have people who "use" FreeBSD.

This is as you can see two different concepts and I think it is
important that we know what kind of "users" we talk about.

The first kind can tell me what to do, the second kind will have
to be contend with whatever catches my fancy.

It is obvious from this that if the FreeBSD usercommunity was
the source of my income to the extent that my family could survive,
then they could tell me what to do, now they can't.

Yes, I dream of the day where I can work FreeBSD 14h+ a day, but
until the users can&will provide the income I need to pay for
food&clothes for my family, that will not happen.

Remember, "He who pays the piper calls the tune!"

This piper isn't getting paid, so he'll play for the girls
instead of evicting rats.  Political speeches about the
importance of rodent extermination are unlikely to inspire
him to do more than clean them out from his own house.

You can't really blame him for that, can you ?

whois: [PHK]                | phk@ref.tfs.com       TRW Financial Systems, Inc.
Future will arrive by its own means, progress not so.