Date:      Wed, 19 Jul 95 22:21:25 MDT
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au (Michael Smith)
Cc:        john@starfire.mn.org, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 2.x may not run on Cyrix 486DL

> Terry Lambert stands accused of saying:
> > The correct behaviour would probably be to disable the cache on Cyrix
> > chips because they do not honor the non-cacheable bit.
>
> Unless someone can overcorrect me, I'd ask that this be read as "some"
> Cyrix chips; certainly their DX40 and DX2/66 parts _appear_ to behave
> appropriately.

Yes; the problems are with Cyrix parts built with the Cyrix and TI
chip masks (Cyrix and TI used to use the same chip masks and do
co-developement).

The problem does not exist with the Cyrix masks derived from the IBM
chip masks (of which the DX40 and DX2/66 are examples).

I don't have the details of stepping numbers, etc. because I simply
don't buy Cyrix or TI parts (mail order salesmen will assure you of
generally anything with regard to revisions just to make the sale).

We know at least two that work here, but it would be nice to have
a list, or even better, to have an auto-detect and correct + message.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---
or previous employers.