Date:      Sat, 14 Dec 2002 19:46:51 -0800 (PST)
From:      Rhett Monteg Hollander <victorysoldier@yahoo.com>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Cyrix CPUs, was: Re: Repeatable crash from nautilus2

Charles,

>It wasn't my intent to unduly criticise Cyrix
>processors, Rhett. It sounds like you know enough
>about the Cyrix CPUs that you might be able to
>contribute something towards FreeBSD's documentation.
It's my job to know enough about computer hardware in
general and CPU internals in particular. At least, it
was... Not sure I'm able to contribute something
really useful to FreeBSD's documentation, but I have
completed a little reference on x86 CPUs, covering
hopefully everything since i8086 (excluding Pentium 4
family as well as IDT\VIA chips -- had no time to
enlist them). If you or anyone else will pass through
it and send me any corrections, I shall be really
appreciated. http://www.alasir.com/x86ref/index.html

>>>PS: I think the guys at NeXT decided that the x86
>>>platform had enough issues without trying to work
>>>around broken hardware; in hindsight, that may
>>>have been a wrong decision, but I'm still using a
>>>33MHz 68040 NeXTstation as a primary machine.
>>
>> Nope.
>
>Is that "Nope", I'm not using a NeXTstation?  Or
>"Nope", I'm wrong that NeXT decided not to even
>attempt to support the Cyrix processor line?
If you're quoting me, please include full context. I
meant broken PC hardware; as I said, first Cyrix
processors reached market in late 1992, when NeXT's
star was coming off the sky. It wasn't a question to
support Cyrix processors or not; it was a question,
will NextStep OS be right choice for PC hardware, or
not. Most PC-manufacturing vendors said no, and hence
we have M$ Windows, users' dream.

>Teach grandma to suck eggs.  I used to sell software
>and provide technical support to NS users since CMU
>got their first 4 MB cubes [...]
I do apologise :) and gently shut up. Though I'd like
to hear from you still, in private mail.

---
Regards,
 Rhett