Date:      Wed, 28 Feb 2001 20:19:55 -0800
From:      Dima Dorfman <dima@unixfreak.org>
To:        Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Inheriting the nodump flag

> > Attached below is a port of NetBSD's patch to FreeBSD's dump(8).
> > dump's tree walker is a little weird, so the patch is a little more
> > complicated than calling fts_set with FTS_SKIP.  For the technical
> > details of what it does, see:
> > http://lists.openresources.com/NetBSD/tech-kern/msg00453.html.
> [.....]
> > Comments?
>
> Just that I noticed a typo in a comment where ``inherited'' is misspelt
> ``herited'' going via your URL.... but it's fixed in the attached
> patch :-)  It's probably worth updating the web page.

as such can't be changed (much less by me).  I provided it because it
offers a very good technical explanation of the patch, which I didn't
want to repeat.  I took the patch there almost verbatim, except for,
obviously, the exact placement of the code, and the comments; I didn't
take the latter because the person who wrote it isn't a natural
English speaker (as far as I can tell, anyway), and as such didn't
write such great comments ("such great" being a reference to the
English grammar and spelling, not their technical accuracy).

> I'd certainly like to see this committed - I'm sick of backing up
> release directories, cvs repositories and /usr/obj :-)

Yes, this was my motivation for porting this, too. :-)

Thanks

					Dima Dorfman
					dima@unixfreak.org

P.S.  I just sent this patch to -audit per request of rwatson.