Date:      Thu, 23 Sep 2021 22:20:27 +0200
From:      dirk.meyer@dinoex.sub.org (Dirk Meyer)
To:        current@freebsd.org, arch@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: [HEADSUP] making /bin/sh the default shell for root

Baptiste Daroussin schrieb:,

> For years now, csh is the default root shell for FreeBSD
> [...]
> This makes it a usable shell by default, which is why I would like to propose to
> make it the default shell for root starting FreeBSD 14.0-RELEASE (not MFCed)
>
> If no strong arguments has been raised until October 15th, I will make this
> proposal happen.

We have already "toor" for sh.

I disgree on the "user friendly" part of sh.
History search in sh and bash can't hold a candle angainst csh.

Migration of aliase will be painful as ">&" and "|&" is not supoported.

I vote strongly against it.

kind regards Dirk

- Dirk Meyer, Im Grund 4, 34317 Habichtswald, Germany
- [dirk.meyer@dinoex.sub.org],[dirk.meyer@guug.de],[dinoex@FreeBSD.org]