Date:      Wed, 3 Mar 1999 11:02:50 +0000 (GMT)
From:      "Geoff Rehmet" <geoffr@is.co.za>
To:        bright@cygnus.rush.net (Alfred Perlstein)
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Printing is vvveeerrryyy slow

Alfred Perlstein writes :
> > Printing is very slow.  I have a HP LaserJet III attached to lpt0.
> > Printing in the pcl, text, mode is slower than I expect.  Printing in
> > the postscipt mode is extremely slow.  A 30K postscript file has been
> > OVER 5 minutes and is not finished!
>
> have you tried:
> lptcontrol -p
>
> I remeber the friendlies on #freebsd suggesting this
> to me when i had similar symptoms last year.
It's a long long time since I was working on the lpt driver.  This
kind of symptom was a common problem during its development.  I
haveen't been able to really appreciate the code for the nltp
driver, so I also can't really see if there is a problem.
Biggest problem when I was hacking on the lpt driver was that
interrupts tended to get lost sometimes.  I seem to recall, that
there were some problems with slow printing that just could not
be fixed.
Going into polled mode (lptcotnrol -p) is probably your best bet
at the moment.

Geoff.

--
Geoff Rehmet,