Date:      Tue, 5 May 1998 23:27:12 +0200
From:      Stefan Esser <se@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>, Bill Paul <wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu>
Cc:        Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Call for testers for ThunderLAN ethernet driver

On 1998-05-05 12:52 -0500, Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us> wrote:
> This has an NCR controller embedded in it also, but not the 53c875 or
> anything like it.  Wasn't there some kind of NCR Ethernet/SCSI combo chip
> available at one time?  That may be what this is.  I'll poke my head in

Yes, there is one, its a FastEthernet/Ultra-SCSI chip, though.
But what you have is most probably a Lance (PCI chip is lnc1,
since lnc0 is reserved for a possible ISA card) and an AMD
53c974 compatible SCSI engine. That's the AMD Ethernet+SCSI
Combo chip, and it is known to work under 2.2.x and -current.
The SCSI part is supported by the "amd" driver, which in fact
is derived from the FreeBSD sources released by Tekram for
their DC-390 / DC-390T host adapter cards (the 390W, 390F and
390U are based on NCR chips, though).

> the box when I get back to work and look, though I know people have asked
> questions about it ages ago in these lists, since I searched them several
> months ago.

I could not get support for the PCI Lance into 2.1, and you
had to manually configure the driver to use the correct probe
address. But I made the driver work with 2.2.x one and a half
year ago ...

The AMD SCSI driver was originally limited to cards with the
Tekram SCSI options EEPROM. When I imported the driver, I put
in a fallback, which made it work with other AMD based cards
and the Combo chip in those Compaqs. This did also happen in
late 1996.

Please send me a verbose boot message log (boot with "-v"),
if you can't get both the Ethernet and SCSI functionality to
work.

Regards, STefan