Date:      Wed, 18 Jul 2007 01:00:25 +0200
From:      "Heiko Wundram (Beenic)" <wundram@beenic.net>
To:        Doug Barton <dougb@freebsd.org>, Volker <volker@vwsoft.com>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problems with named default configuration in 6-STABLE

On Tuesday 17 July 2007 23:06:22 Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
> Can you expand on this, re: why it's "bad advice"?  I also cannot make
> heads or tails of the BIND ARM saying it's "not recommended".  Please
> shed some light on this for those of us less experienced in the know,
> if you could (I mean that sincerely).

See my mail: <200707171410.41601.wundram@beenic.net>, also in this thread.

A stub zone is basically a zone that's only configured with an absolutely=20
necessary amount of records (for the _zone_ itself). The idea behind stub=20
zones is the following:

$ORIGIN modelnine.org
stubzone	IN	NS	ns1.stubzone

How is stubzone ever going to be resolvable unless you specify glue for=20
ns1.stubzone.modelnine.org? Normally, the standard "way" of doing this woul=
d=20
be to set up a glue (A) record for ns1.stubzone in modelnine.org, but with=
=20
stub zones you can also create different zone files:

$ORIGIN modelnine.org
		<zilch>

$ORIGIN stubzone.modelnine.org
		IN	NS	ns1
ns1		IN	A	a.b.c.d

which you can then integrate into your bind configuration as a normal zone =
for=20
modelnine.org and as a stub zone for stubzone.modelnine.org, and which only=
=20
contains the glue necessary to have the subdomain/-zone working by itself,=
=20
but does not contain other records.

When the nameserver sees a stub zone, it will not take the content of the z=
one=20
file as "authoritative" on existance or non-existance of domain names in th=
at=20
zone, but only uses the records in the zone as glue or nameserver definitio=
ns=20
which are necessary to run the lookup to the "true" zone behind the stub,=20
which are then normally resolved. So, basically, this is a (different) way =
of=20
defining glue, which I personally don't find very appealing, as it splits t=
he=20
glue over many, many files.

This mechanism is simply not applicable to the situation this thread was=20
talking about (using the root zone as hint or slave), that's what Doug was=
=20
trying to say, and I was trying to say in the mail I hinted at above.

=2D-=20
Heiko Wundram
Product & Application Development
=2D------------------------------------