Date:      Wed, 12 Jul 2000 19:04:23 +0100
From:      "Koster, K.J." <K.J.Koster@kpn.com>
To:        'Greg Lewis' <glewis@trc.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: JDK1.2.2 Alpha(v9), JBuilder35, and JITs...

> > With no JIT, accessing the file menu can be slow in
> > that it may not completely paint right away (haven't
> > noticed this with tya).
>
> Interesting.

Quite. Particularly since I have seen repaint problems with one of my own
applications too. Have a look at

  http://erlecom.nl.eu.org/~dutchman/index.html

Click on "WSIM Client Application" and follow instructions (basically,
download iWSIM.zip, unzip it and java -jar iWSIM.jar)

In order to run it under the FreeBSD port (patchset 9, FreeBSD 4.0), I have
to resize the window to force repaints. The application responds when I
blindly take a stab at where the buttons and menues are supposed to be, so
it is alive in a sense.

There are other paint problems reported by FreeBSD 4.0 users, so my wild
guess is that it's something with the XFree86 version. I'm away from my
home, so I cannot give version numbers.

    Kees Jan

PS. Haven't had much time for the JDK port. Sorry about that. *sigh*

 TV is the worst  of both  worlds.  It's not  as
 good at words  as radio is because the pictures
 are a distraction  which demand  attention, and
 it's not as good as cinema because the pictures
 are not nearly as good.
                                 Douglas Adams