Date:      Wed, 06 Apr 2005 16:18:05 +1000
From:      Carl Makin <carl@xena.IPAustralia.gov.au>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        mjacob@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Dell PowerEdge 1855

Afternoon!

Just had more success with the Dell 1855.

I split the disks into two individual drives visible to the OS and am
now getting much better results. Bonnie and iozone transfer rates to and
from a single drive of 50 to 60MB/s. This obviously just confirms the
previous emails regarding this particular card (LSILogic 1030 Ultra4
Adapter) and the mpt driver.  I've CC'd Matt Jacob on this, Matt any ideas?

I also managed to get the CD rom drive working for the install.  The
sequence is this;

. boot system with cd
. unplug usb cdrom drive when "waiting for 15 seconds" appears
. plug in the usb drive once sysinstall has started
. switch to the second virtual screen (alt-F2) and wait (approx 2
minutes) until "cd0" appears
. switch back to sysinstall (alt-F1) and go to the "options" screen and
reprobe the hardware
. install as normal

The boot sequence will hang if the USB drive is attached at boot.  There
was something in freebsd-stable about a month ago about booting hanging
if an ipod shuffle was attached.  This is showing exactly the same symptoms.

Otherwise the machine is running well.

Carl.