Date:      12 May 1999 07:29:14 -0700
From:      Frank McConnell <fmc@reanimators.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Is aha broken?

jack <jack@germanium.xtalwind.net> wrote:
> Kernels from source cvsupped yesterday morning and afternoon
> (EDT) with the aha driver fail to boot.  Just after the waiting
> for scsi devices to settle message I get:

Hmm, I'm getting a slightly different set of output, both with -stable
CVSup'd Sunday morning (I think) and on Monday morning (ooh,
3.2-BETA):

aha0 at 0x330-0x333 irq 11 drq 5 on isa
aha0: AHA-1542CP FW Rev. F.0 (ID=46) SCSI Host Adapter, SCSI ID 7, 16 CCBs
create_intr: requested irq-1 too high, limit is 23
vga0 at 0x3b0-0x3df maddr 0xa0000 msize 131072 on isa
npx0 on motherboard
npx0: INT 16 interface
Waiting 5 seconds for SCSI devices to settle
SMP: AP CPU #1 Launched!
(probe15:aha0:0:0:0) CCB 0xc7f51508 - timed out
(probe15:aha0:0:0:0) CCB 0xc7f51508 - timed out
aha0: No longer in timeout
(probe21:aha0:0:0:0) CCB 0xc7f51508 - timed out
(probe21:aha0:0:0:0) CCB 0xc7f51508 - timed out
aha0: No longer in timeout

(Repeat the last six lines until you lose patience...each group of three
is good for a couple of minutes.)

> I build world and the kernel (twice) and got the same results.  A
> kernel from May 3 source still works fine.

Don't know about that here, I updated this system from 3.1-RELEASE to
-stable before pulling the 1542CP from a functioning 2.2.1-RELEASE
system (different box).

I'm not convinced (yet) that this isn't some stupid configuration
error on my part, though the hardware from the 1542 on out is the
same as it was on the 2.2.1 system (same card, cable, tape drive,
termination).

Figuring that the "create_intr" message above might have something to
do with my explicitly configuring irq 11 in the config file (as that's
how the card is set), I changed the irq in the config file to ? and
rebuilt.  No difference.  Haven't tried changing the card's irq to
something other than 11 yet, but I think irq 11 is available for this
use.  Suggestions of other things to look at and do would be welcome
but I won't get to them 'til tonight.

-Frank McConnell