Date:      Sun, 21 May 2000 12:02:53 +0100 (BST)
From:      Nick Hibma <n_hibma@calcaphon.com>
To:        J McKitrick <jcm@freebsd-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: boot/kernel debugging

In general it is well possible to single step anything in the
kernel. You might find occasions where things stop working, and odd
cases were things all of a sudden start working, but normally, apart
from hardware things, most things are not time critical, or create
problems through spin locks.

You can single step at boot time, by setting the flags in the loader.

	set boot_ddb	# jump to debugger
	set boot_gdb	# use remote gdb for debugging by default

Hope this helps.

Nick

n_hibma@webweaving.org
n_hibma@freebsd.org                                          USB project