Date:      Sat, 20 Sep 1997 09:19:28 +1000 (EST)
From:      Ada Lim <ada@not-enough.bandwidth.org>
To:        handy@sag.space.lockheed.com (Brian N. Handy)
Cc:        mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ARRGH!  NUM-Lock!!!

> D'uh.  I can't figure it out.  It seems like somehow I need to turn on the
> numeric keypad on my thinkpad, which is done via a <Shift>-Scroll-lock.
> This turns the middle portion of the keyboard into a keypad, replete with
> the "-" and "+" keys.
Wait...  this works perfectly on my 760 - I can press shift-scroll-lock,
the little numlock symbol comes up, and my screen changes mode under X.

> We don't have this feature in FreeBSD, so I can't figure out how to
> twiddle the video resolution without changing XF86Config.  This would be a
> real handy feature for those folks with an external monitor -- there's
> enough video memory to run at 1024x768x8, which is pretty nice.
>
> Anybody figure out a secret combination to get around this?

How does X access the keyboard?  Is it possible to remap one of the lesser-
used keys to become numeric-plus?

Ada

--
"Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time
to reform."