Date:      Fri, 26 Jul 1996 10:00:53 GMT
From:      Joel Ward <joel@omnisolve.com>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Cyclades/modem problem

ok, here's the short of my problem:

I have an internal modem on /dev/cuaa3, and it is configured for dialup.
Works great.  I also have a Cyclades 16Ye board, and if i use it to call
out, it works great.  Problem is, i cant get it to work for dial-ins.
the modem answers the phone, but getty never comes up.

now here's the long of it (example files and such:)

if i dont put any entries in /etc/ttys for any cyclades ports, i can
use "ppp" to get to the modem ("set line /dev/cuac0" "term") and then
talk to the modem (i say AT, it says OK).  The same thing happens when
I say "set line /dev/ttyc0"

so now i put an entry in /etc/ttys saying:
ttyc0   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   dialup  on secure
and I reboot.

when i do a "ps ax | grep getty" one of the processes that comes up is:
  171  ??  I      0:00.03 /usr/libexec/getty std.9600 ttyc0

so at this point everything seems fine to me.  When i dial-in however,
the modems connect, but it just sits there.  no login:, no anything.

I've tried it on several different ports of the cyclades and the same
thing happens.  My modems are usr sportsers 33.6s, and i set the NVRAM
and switches according to what it suggests in the Handbook under dialup
ATZ
AT&C1&D2&H1&I0&R2&W

                  1  2  3  4    5  6  7  8
the switches are: UP UP UP DOWN UP UP UP DOWN
but i also tried it with 3 DOWN and 4 UP.
(i had to do this to talk to the modem before i rebooted with getty,
becasue otherwise the "at" "OK" stuff won't work)

I'm confused and frustrated.  The only thing I can think of possibly is
the settings in /etc/rc.serial maybe dont set up the cyclades ports right, so
that they respond to dialout, but not dialin.  The section in hte handbook
on configuring the serial ports seemed to be really old (1.1.5.1) so it
doesn't bear much relation to my system (SNAP-2.2 from May).
Could that be the problem?  Did i miss anything?

 - Joel