Date:      Fri, 18 Apr 1997 10:45:16 -0600
From:      Blaine Minazzi <bminazzi@denverweb.net>
To:        isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: News...

David Greenman wrote:

> do. If you chose to chop out 90% of the Usenet content with full knowledge
> that you will lose customers and make less money, than that's just being a
> morality Czar and has nothing to do with the economics.
>
> -DG
>
> David Greenman
> Core-team/Principal Architect, The FreeBSD Project

What does morality have to do with not pissing away bandwidth?

So... leave the porn in, and risk a lawsuit. take it out and risk a
lawsuit.
Screw it, go with the low bandwidth solution.

If the porn  REALLY is 90% of usenet content, then we certainly need to
fix it.

I don't buy the fact that our incomes would suffer greatly by simple
having the customer
fetch the stuff from  smut_r_us.com rather than us having to store
hundreds of megs of
this shit on our servers, just so someone can get their rocks off.  If I
want to make money
in that arena, I would open a strip club or adult bookstore.

It is still available, we just dont shuffle  a gazzillion megs of the
shit around daily.
Since most of it is the same "back issues" and same old files, it's
REALLY a bandwidth pisser.

Economics is simple.  You make the choices YOU think are most benificial
to the company.
You live with the results.

Blaine