Date:      Wed, 11 Dec 2002 16:53:41 +0100
From:      Sameh Ghane <sw@anthologeek.net>
To:        Eduardo Maestri Righes <eduardo-righes@pop.com.br>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Installation on HP Pavilion ZT1130

Le (On) Sun, Dec 08, 2002 at 12:07:36PM -0200, Eduardo Maestri Righes ecrivit (wrote):
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to install the FreeBSD 4.7-RELEASE on my HP Pavilion ZT1130
> notebook, but there is some problems.
>
> Note: my notebook doesn't have floppy drive.
>
> When a try to boot from my CD drive (actually a Toshiba DVD-ROM SD-R2102
> drive), I got the following message:
>
> BTX loader 1.00 BTX version is 1.01
> Console: internal video/keyboard
> BIOS drive C: is disk0
> BIOS 639kB/244672kB available memory
>
> FreeBSD/i386 bootstrap loader, Version 0.8
> Can't work out which disk we are booting from.
> Guessed BIOS device 0x0 not found by probes, defaulting to disk0:
> Can't load 'kernel'
> Can't load 'kernel.old'

Hi,

I have the same issue. -current's bootloader finds correctly cd0 though.

You'll maybe have more chance with the last 5.0-rc1 CD.

In my case, it doesn't help much as -current just hangs (without acpi) or panics
(with acpi).

I'd like to tell more about this but there is no serial port on this laptop
(gericom). the sis630 chipset seems not properly handled, the hang appears after
ATA initialisation. Are there any other way to help debugging ? I have an IR
port configured as serial but I don't think it could do the trick at boot time?

Probably the bootloader in RELENG_4 should be updated wrt this (bios ?) bug.

Cheers,

--
Sameh