Date:      Tue, 8 May 2001 16:27:53 -0700
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        Juha Saarinen <juha@saarinen.org>
Subject:   Re: CFLAGS Optimization

* Juha Saarinen <juha@saarinen.org> [010508 16:24] wrote:
> :: Perhaps you'd be more comfortable if we changed the documentation to
> :: remove all references to any -O switch with a number attached?
>
> Dunno. In my experience, any -O switch with a number attached creates
> problems when compiling the kernel/userland on FreeBSD, so it seems
> pointless to have those options. OTOH Jordan pointed out that there are some
> instances for which the optflags can be useful.
>
> I don't know why the optflags produce broken code on FreeBSD, but not with
> Linux.

They can produce broken code on Linux.  Please see the pgcc page that
explains that -O3 includes optimizations that "can cause problems".

> Aren't we sick of this thread yet?

I was sick of it that last 5 times it came up. :(

--
-Alfred Perlstein - [alfred@freebsd.org]
Instead of asking why a piece of software is using "1970s technology,"