Date:      Sat, 14 Mar 2020 01:28:22 +0000
From:      Rick Macklem <rmacklem@uoguelph.ca>
To:        "freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org" <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   when does a server need to use SSL_CTX_set_client_CA_list()?

Hi,=0A=
=0A=
Since it is done in sample code, I have an option in the RPC-over-TLS=0A=
server daemon that does the SSL_CTX_set_client_CA_list() call.=0A=
When I test, I have not used this option and the code seems to work.=0A=
Maybe this is because the client only has a single certificate?=0A=
=0A=
Here's the lame description I have in the man page for the option:=0A=
.It Fl C Ar client_cafile=0A=
If this option is specified, the server calls=0A=
.Dq SSL_CTX_set_client_CA_list(ctx,SSL_load_client_CA_file(``client_cafile'=
'))=0A=
during TLS context configuration.=0A=
I do not know when this is needed, but it appears to be required for=0A=
certain TLS configurations.=0A=
=0A=
Does someone know when this call is needed?=0A=
Can you explain it? (Just about anything is better than the above;-)=0A=
=0A=
Thanks, rick=0A=