Date:      Wed, 13 Jun 2001 23:35:20 -0400
From:      Andrew J Caines <A.J.Caines@altavista.net>
To:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Using AIDE (Was: Re: tripwire

Stephen,

> I have been using aide 0.7 on my systems and was interested if the "list"
> thinks this is a "solid" enough solution for integrity checking?

In what sense do you mean "solid"?

I am also using AIDE 0.7, built from ports, and have found it to function
at least as well as Tripwire*, while being simpler to use and having a
nicely simple interface.

I have not done much in the way of tuning or tweaking the default
configuration and it appears to reliably pick up changes.

As for performance, I do not notice any significant impact when building
or updating a database on my desktop system, which is running my usual
large number of server and desktop apps including a distributed.net
client.

*[Academic version, at least. I have not tried the 2.x version]

-Andrew-