Date:      Thu, 30 Dec 1999 04:13:16 -0500 (EST)
From:      Will Andrews <andrews@TECHNOLOGIST.COM>
To:        Joel Sutton <jsutton@bbcon.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   RE: Unix World Jan 1991 - 10 Predictions for the '90s

How did this get on freebsd-chat? Please don't tell me you put freebsd-chat on
the vicfug mailing list! ;)

On 29-Dec-99 Joel Sutton wrote:
> Prediction #4
>
> UNIX end users will start a consortium. Tired of seeing the word 'user'
> applied to everyone but themselves, the people who use UNIX but who aren't
> supposed to know it will take control. Their purpose will be to escape
> from their mouse-ridden GUI environments and flee to the simple beauty of
> the UNIX shell. Late in the '90s they will discover shell scripts.

Heh.. there's such a thing as a keyboard-ridden GUI environment. And that's
mine - WindowMaker. The simple beauty of the shell comes with a victim -
productivity. I can do a hell of a lot more at once with X than console.
Although that's mostly because of higher resolutions and more scrollback
support. ;)

> Prediction #5
>
> An untimely demise of Sun Microsystems. Sun Microsystems will not escape
> financial ruin at the hands of a Far Eastern copier of Levi's jeans and
> Gucci watches. Despite the best efforts of U.S. Customs officals, an Asian
> SPARC cloner will copy the Sun Microsystems logo. The cloner's 100 mips
> laptop workstations will be sold out of briefcases on street corners in
> Manhattan, London, Tokyo, and Berlin, thus ending one of the most exciting
> sagas in computing.

Now that's a weird one. Sun has not only survived Mirosoft's attacks but seems
to be flourishing.. mostly thanks to Linux, which (IIRC) didn't exist in 1991.

> Prediction #6
>
> DEC will introduce a symmetric multi-processing system on New Year's Eve,
> 1999. It will have industry-standard connectors on its serial ports.

They did that a long time ago. (I don't know about the serial ports part
though! ;)

> Prediction #7
>
> SPARC and Intel will be the winners of the microprocessor wars. Microsoft
> will port PC/MS-DOS to Intel's i860 RISC chip "to improve graphics
> performance".

I believe Motorola and IBM have ousted SPARC with their PowerPC chips.

> Prediction #10
>
> Most of you will enjoy these predictions more than hearing how wonderful
> UNIX World will be in 1991.

Nah, I think they're ill-gotten visionaries by someone who was smoking a crack
pipe and actually thought he could get around the chaos theory. ;)

All in all, an amusing chronicle of the UNIX world before my time.

--
Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>