Date:      Thu, 22 Oct 1998 16:23:21 -0000
From:      "Fam. van Achterberg" <Rob.van.Achterberg@gironet.nl>
To:        "freebsd-isdn" <freebsd-isdn@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   i4b problem (almost) solved (was: When running i4b error: permission denied or command not found)

Gary Jennejohn wrote:
>"Fam. van Achterberg" writes:
[knip]
>>and then use su to 'become' root. Should I log in as root to get isdnd
>>running?
>
>I start it in /etc/rc.local, at the end of the file. Alternatively,

Thank you for this one! Indeed, after invoking rc.isdn from /etc/rc.local
the isdnd runs at system startup.

>you can log in as root and just invoke /etc/rc.isdn by hand.

I also figured out that, since root has csh as default shell, I need to put
'sh' before the command /etc/rc.isdn, when i invoke it by hand.

>ipr requires static addresses. Maybe you really want to use isppp0 here ?
>I greatly doubt that your ISP supports transparent HDLC since that mandates
>that he assign you a static IP address.

Yes, I want to use isppp0. But the man pages for spppcontrol say that the
only way to dial out is to get a command from ipr0? That's why I thought for
a moment that I needed ipr0.

Anyway, I have the system running now, and I can make a connection with my
ISP. (one other thing that I needed to do, BTW, was to make an extra device
node, ttyv6, without a getty, for the isdn-monitor).

The only problem left is that i have to type in the ip adresses, since there
is apparently no name resolution. Should I use named when I have no local
name server, but have to rely on the ISP's name servers?

I'd like to thank everyone who helped me. I know the last question isn't
really a topic for this (isdn) list, but if you have the answer, don't
hesitate to mail me!

Rob van Achterberg
Nijmegen, the Netherlands