Date:      Sun, 20 Apr 2003 14:17:33 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug Barton <DougB@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Jeremy Chadwick <freebsd@jdc.parodius.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: BIND-8/9 interface bug? Or is it FreeBSD?

On Fri, 18 Apr 2003, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:

>         Greetings.  I've spoken with numerous other administrators
>         about the phenomenon I'm about to post, and the only answer
>         I've gotten so far is "Your box is broken" (how quaint).  I
>         have two web/nameservers, both which exhibit this behaviour.

I suspect the actual answer you got was that you're trying to do way too
much stuff with the same two machines, which is correct; although clearly
not what you wanted to hear. At minimum, based on your description of the
problem, if you want named to behave differently for inside and outside
traffic, you need two named instances on each box, with appropriate
listen-on directives in each named.conf. I would highly recommend this
approach if you're currently running both recursive and authoritative
functions on the same named, which by your description I strongly suspect
you are.

Good luck,

Doug