Date:      Tue, 11 Jul 2000 09:49:06 -0700
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@cup.hp.com>
To:        "Mike O'Dell" <mo@servo.ccr.org>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: problems building kernels

Mike O'Dell wrote:

> is anyone else more than a little concerned that the people who
> ostensibly understand all the details can't agree as to how to
> do what and when??

You don't have to be more than a little concerned. This is simply a case
where reality has departed from the intended. It's been noticed and
acted upon.

> and this is supposed to be STABLE???

The intended is STABLE, reality never is :-)

> give us a break, guys. you don't go changing how a kernel
> gets built in a release called STABLE.

We didn't do that. We simply changed our support mantra...

> and if you didn't do that, please explain that we can just
> ignore all the mail the last few days and go back to
> trying to figure out why cvsup-ing the latest STABLE
> release doesn't compile/run-on-SMP/etc,etc,etc

Please ignore all the mail you received in the last couple of days. But
don't you dare ask why you can't build a kernel :-)

> i'll restate my minority view that the FreeBSD project
> *really* needs to rethink their release names and the
> whole release process, rather than explaining that
> we don't understand the effort's peculiar definitions
> of words like "stable"

Different issue. Different thread.

--
Marcel Moolenaar