Date:      Mon, 28 Apr 1997 13:13:12 +0900
From:      Kazutaka YOKOTA <yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp>
To:        David Gilbert <dgilbert@jaywon.pci.on.ca>
Cc:        bugs@freebsd.org, yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp
Subject:   Re: 2.2.1 or 3.0 bootdisks hanging.

>	I'm still having problems.  I have a machine that is only
>somewhat happily running NetBSD-1.2d (somewhat happily in that I'm
>having problems with the serial drivers)... so I have been attempting
>to convert it to FreeBSD.
>
>	However, both the 2.2.1 and 3.0 bootdisks that I've tried have
>the same problem: they hang at the end of the configuration (after the
>zp driver).  Is there any way I can get the kernel to provide more
>information so that you fine people may be able to help me with this?
>
>	The machine is a 386/40 with a VESA IDE controller.  The only
>other card is an ISA 1 meg VGA card.
>
>Dave.

1) specify the -v option to the "Boot:" prompt and whatch out for
   unusual messages,
2) or, try the boot floppy from 2.2.1-970422-RELENG.

Just out of curiosity, what brand of VGA is it?  There are some VGA
cards/BIOSes which are not so compatible with 2.2.1 and -current. If
yours is one of those, the screen will be messed up as soon as the
kernel is loaded.  As far as I can understand from the descriptions of
your problem, this is unlikely, but...

Kazu